posted on November 16, 2015 20:42
This step-by-step guide demonstrates how to remote-control the exaSound PlayPoint from Mac or PC.
Music files are stored on USB hard disk drive connected to the PlayPoint.
The PlayPoint and your Mac or PC computer must be connected to the same home network.
The PlayPoint is used in MPD mode.
The Cantata open-source app installed on the Mac or the PC is used to browse the music library on the USB hard drive, to play individual tracks, albums or playlists.
Cantata also supports various Internet streaming services.
High Resolution Audio Support
In this configuration the exaSound PlayPoint player supports the following audio formats, sampling rates and resolutions in stereo and up to eight channels:
PCM 44.1kHz to 384kHz at 32 bit resolution
DXD 352.8kHz at 32 bit resolution
DSD64 at 2.8224MHz (64Fs) 3.072MHz (64Fs)
DSD128 5.6448MHz (128Fs) 6.144MHz (128Fs)
- DSD256 11.2896MHz (256Fs) 12.288MHz (256Fs)
The open-source Music Player Daemon (MPD) developed by Max Kellermann is a de-facto standard for network audio. The Cantata MPD open-source client is maintained by Craig Drummond.
Downloading the Cantata app
Download Cantata from here
. Use the latest installation package for Mac OS X or Windows. Here are the latest revisions available at the time when this article was published.
Mac OSX: Cantata-1.5.2.dmg
Information about the project can be found at mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Client:Cantata
Step-by-step instructions for configuring Cantata for use with the exaSound PlayPoint Player
1. Follow the instructions in the exaSound PlayPoint Owner's Manual to connect and configure your PlayPoint device.
2. Power on the PlayPoint and make sure the volume is set to a safe level.
3. Connect to the PlayPoint a USB hard-drive with music files.
4. Your computer and the exaSound PlayPoint must be connected to the same home network.
5. We will use OS X screenshots. The Windows installation procedure is very similar.
6. If you installing Cantata on Mac, you will have to allow installation of applications downloaded from the Internet. Display System Preferences
7. Select Security & Privacy
8. Unlock the Security & Privacy Preferences
. Allow apps to be installed from Anywhere.
9. Download the Cantata Windows or Mac installation package from the links above. Double-click the installer.
10. Drag and drop the Cantata
icon in the Applications
11. Authorise the installation.
12. Start Cantata from the Mac Applications
folder. You will see the fist-time setup wizard. Fill-in the Name
folder fields as shown.
- The Music folder name is case-sensitive.
The PlayPoint host name can be different, for example exaSound-PP2.local.
is a standard name used for album cover image files. Cover image file for every album must be stored in the same folder together with album tracks. Usually these files are named Folder.jpg
. Note that the filename is case-sensitive.
Cantata will try to download from the Internet album cover image if a file with the specified name is not found in the album folder.
13. Click OK to close the setup wizard window. Your Cantata app will look like it is shown below. If you don't see the albums select Music
-> Refresh Database
from the Cantata menu.
14. Select an album and add a track to the playlist. Set the volume to a safe level by clicking or dragging the mouse on the volume bars. Click the play icon.
15. Click on the Info
icon in the top right corner of the app window to display information for the current track.
16. Select Preferences
to familiarize yourself with the various settings screens for customizing Cantata.
17. The Playback
tab confirms that you have a working connection to PlayPoint device.
18. On the Files
tab enable caching of downloaded metadata.
19. The Interface
tab allows you to configure various views.
20. On the General
tab allow Fetch missing covers from Last.fm.
21. On the Streams
tab configure the supported Internet streaming services.
22. Configure Last.fm
23. Try playing an Internet radio stream.